Friday, December 3, 2010

How the Heck Did I Get Here Anyways?

Well, let’s face it.  I have ALWAYS been competitive.  I always wanted to do EVERYTHING at once … and do it all really well.  So what does “everything” mean?  In High School, it meant, all honors classes, captain of the football and basketball cheering squad, working two jobs (24 hours a week), and applying for and getting into my top reach school.  While at that reach school it meant overloading on classes, being an RA, working 20 – 40 hours a week, being in a sorority, and participating in the dance program.  After college, it meant going to grad school (there were no jobs when I graduated school … so why not further my education), work 40 hours a week and try for a near perfect GPA, and choose to conduct and write a thesis (yes, I said chose).

Well – getting out of grad school, I knew I wanted to be a consultant.  Why?  Well, while working at my job in Graduate School, I decided that I wanted to be a consultant.  Because I like losing myself in a project only to find my way out after 12 and 16 hour days.  You read that right I LIKE working 12 – 16 hour days.  Yes I am a glutton for punishment.
Enter the opportunity of working at an agency.  Which, happened quite by accident, by the way.  I found myself immediately diving into client campaigns, spending hours working on strategy and recommendations, reporting, and presentations.  But, I began to THRIVE on it, loving every minute of it.  I'd work hours in the office, and then bring work home with me at night. I’d find myself sitting next to my husband (then fiancé) on the couch, watching TV and tapping away ferociously on my keyboard. I was 100% addicted.

I got excited about my client campaigns and the work I had produced – the results, the relationships and the fabulous PowerPoint presentations.  My excitement and long hours paid off after less a year and a half when I was promoted.  I continued to pour myself into my job for another year and a half … and then again, I was promoted. 

Then I became senior management.  And soon thereafter, I found out I was expecting.  This scared the crap out of me for many reasons… but most of all because I was going to have to be a trailblazer. 

And I did what any other crazy person would do … which was the only thing I knew how to do – trudge forward, continue working hard, entertaining clients, and ensuring my team was servicing their clients well … and grow a baby.  But that was easy... my body seemed to take care of that for me.  In fact, I had a fairly ‘normal’ pregnancy – barely any morning sickness, only a little exhaustion, average weight gain, and no cravings or mood swings.  Some said I was crazy, but really I was only doing what I knew how to do … add something else into the mix, and trudge forward.  Figure it out as I go.  I guess my body was just used to this because I ended up with an induced-but-textbook labor and a very healthy and beautiful (If I do say so myself) 10 pound baby.


Today, I am still working at the same agency and loving the chaos, challenge, and adventure ... and learning that even the most unpredictable toddler is easier than the craziest of clients.  But that is what keeps me coming back day after day.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment